Jan 18, 2007

A General Letter to the Board of Education

A General Letter to the Board of Education:

Dear Sirs,

I appreciate what you are trying to do...what you have been trying to do for quite some time...and that is to create a generation of, as you call it, "well-rounded students." I even support some of the areas that you emphasize, and I whole-heartedly agree that certain subjects, especially math, science, English, and history are necessary for a well-rounded student. However, I am afraid that we all may have overlooked the truth behind the term "well-rounded." I'm afraid that the term "well-rounded" has unfortunately been "rounded down" to include only education of the mind. Have we forgotten, or simply denied, that as human beings we are far more than just a mind. We are no more a walking computer than a computer is a living, breathing organism. I think it's time we stopped treating ourselves, and our children as if we were.

As human beings, there are at least a few pieces that we contain within ourselves, and inherently within humanity itself that the educational system, and parents, teachers, scholars, etc fail to remember, or simply overlook. We are equal parts mind and intellect, body, and spirit. I feel that it is time to recognize these addition parts of our own humanity, and begin to give them the respect, and attention they warrant. Why do we send our children to school for hours upon hours of book learning, and fail to see the importance of active learning, using our bodies, and even spiritual learning, religious training, and religious discipline? Is it any wonder these days that we have whole schools full of extremely intelligent students who can't seem to even find their way out of a paper bag, let alone hit or kick a ball, or make their way in society? I feel it is time that we stopped putting traditional educational book learning aside, and made way for a truly "well-rounded" educational system that includes 3 parts: intellect, body, and spirit. Otherwise, I'm afraid we are simply dooming ourselves and our children to a constant struggle to understand and learn to use the other two parts of our humanity that are so often overlooked.

As a wise man once said, "all the knowledge in the world counts for nothing if it cannot be translated into action." Nowhere is this more apparent than within our own societies, schools, businesses. Every one these days is knowledgable about a large number of things, not the least of which is diet, weight loss, and exercise, as well as sports rules, and games. However, who among these extremely "knowledgable" individuals can actually translate that "knowledge" into action? Look around us! Obesity is rampant, television, Internet, and video games dominate our time, and still apathy, boredom, and laziness pester us. In fact, I would dare say that such things are at an all time high. How can they not be? When we are content to watch a "digital projection of our mental selves" play out on a screen those things that we would very much like to learn to do ourselves, how can we not get bored with reality? And where is our discipline, our spirit, our passion, to get out and actually learn such things for ourselves? Oh, wait, that's right. We never developed our spirits, our passions, our discipline in school. And what of our natural energy, and drive, and stick-to-it-iveness that would come with exercising our bodies? What energy?

The television sucks all such energy from our systems. We become content to watch other people struggle with the very things we wish we could struggle with ourselves. And if we ever do break away from the television trance to attempt to tackle such obstacles ourselves, we have no idea where to start, because we've never practiced any skills in our own bodies. We've only attempted math problems, and written poetry, and looked up historical facts in encyclopedias for tests. Where does such book learning translate into real world knowledge? Much of this is quite good for discussion, philosophical and the like, but when can I learn to ACT? I know how to think, how to sneak by with the bare minimum requirements, I know how to cheat the system, I know how to listen to those in authority above me and do what they ask, what they require, and do it well. But when will I ever learn to think for myself, or act of my own accord? When will I learn to make plans and keep them? When will I learn to MOVE INSTINCTIVELY? When will the connection between my mind, my body, and my spirit move in connection with one another? When will I be whole? When will my knowledge translate into action? When will all my book learning be put to good use?

Sincerely sir,
Jekkilekki (once again, your unconscious)

No comments: