Jan 28, 2007

April 2nd? Marathon!

So, that dream about April 2nd? I wondered about the significance eh? Well, I don't think that fate, or destiny, or any of that has anything to do with anything, I think that we create our own destinies, and create meaning within our own lives based on our own values and ideas.

That being said, I recently learned that on April 1st, in Jeonju (my city) there will be a marathon, and half marathon and 5km run. April 2nd just so happens to be the day AFTER...the recovery day.

Anyway, due to the fact that the runs are only 2 months away, I know that I will not be prepared for a full marathon by that point (plus, 26.2 miles? That just sounds CRAZY!! At ANY time!). However, today, on the Internet, I was browsing Amazon.com, and found a book called "The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer" which had rave reviews, and features people who have never ran more than 3 miles at a time before, and who ALL, after the 4 months of training provided in here, FINISHED a marathon (not saying anything about their times).

Anyway, this book, coupled with the April 1st (and consequently April 2nd) dates, and my desire for some extra meaning, purpose, and especially some motivation toward exercise, I have decided that this is a good goal. I ordered the book, and will follow through with the training (I've never been good at creating my own training plan), and I WILL run a marathon at some point (they hold them in Korea quite often, I've heard of at least 3 since I've been here).

I WILL run a marathon, and complete a marathon. That's quite a goal to accomplish. You know less than 1% of the US population can say they've done something like that? Plus, with the discipline and lessons this will force into my life, I look forward to applying those elsewhere later.

Plus, just think about it. Aaron Snowberger: marathoner. Has a nice feel to it.

No comments: