Feb 14, 2007

Ugly Koreans, Ugly Americans

Today at Kyobo books I picked up a book called "Ugly Koreans, Ugly Americans" about cultural differences that people from the opposite culture often find annoying or frustrating. Following, is the list, and I must say, I agree with nearly all of it, including a lot about American culture that I'm sure is frustrating. In fact, that's all I'll type for now. Perhaps later I'll do the Ugly Koreans part, but for now, just getting a different perspective on America is enough (most of these things are considered rude in other countries):

UGLY AMERICANS...
...beckon people with an index finger.
...use an index finger to point at someone.
..."steal" a child's nose putting a thumb between first and second finger. (In Korea, this is like giving someone the middle finger)
...shake hands too firmly.
...smoke in front of elders.
...use one hand to give or receive something from elders. (should use two hands)
...wave instead of bow to person of higher status.
...keep hands in pockets while speaking.
...use too much eye contact during conversations.
...chew gum in social situations. (actually, some of my Korean friends chewed gum with me recently, and they chewed LOUDLY, with mouths open the whole time. Just "smack, smacking" all the time, and that was pretty annoying. I thought they didn't know how to chew with their mouths closed, hahahaha)
...kiss in public.
...wear shoes inside the home. (shoes are dirty and outside things)
...listen to loud music, esp in cars.
...call people (elders) by first names.
...praise family members in public.
...look upon all Asians as being from the same race. ("Say, you look Chinese. Are you Chinese?")
...blow noses loudly in public.
...joke about sexual stuffs in public.
...are too sensitive about people cutting in line.
...watch a sports match or jog shirtless.
...wear sports shoes with a suit. (A little strange, I admit)
...adolescent girls wear make-up. (I think that's stupid)
...middle-aged and older people wear loud colors and "youthful" styles. (actually, I love this part)
...sit with legs crossed in front of superior.
...put feet on a desk or chair in the office.
...don't stand up when a superior enters the office.
...toss items on desk of superior.
...say "uh-huh" when superior is speaking.
...cross arms when talking.
...sit on table or desk when lecturing.
...hold pen or pencil in mouths.
...aren't patient when waiting for someone.
...speak directly or aggressively.
...when receiving a business card, don't really look at it, just put it in their pocket. (In Asia, at least Japan and Korea, a business card is like an extension of a person or his business. They put a lot of emphasis on the look and design of their cards, and you are expected to receive them with two hands, and then at least look at them for a few seconds, observe them, get a good feel for them, and possibly comment about them (almost as if you're carefully observing the person who is giving the card). Then, you can leave the card on the business table in front of you (politely, not playing with it) until your business is concluded, at which point you can pick it up and take it with you)
...complain directly to superiors.
...say "Korean time" to describe being late. (I used to say "Chinese time" hahahaha, ooops)
...write a person's name in red. (This means that either the person will die, or their mother will die shortly, I forget who)
...don't do anything for free. (yeah, pretty freaking annoying I think, but who wants to do something for free? No one does anything for ME for free. Oh wait, no AMERICANS do)
...joke around a lot while working. (ooops, hahaha)
...strictly separate work time and private time. (actually, I like this, I HATE sudden changes in work schedules, or work that carries over into my time)
...take legal action instead of trying to solve things on a personal level. (yeah, pretty freaking ridiculous, I prefer relationships and solving things on a personal level without involving the authorities)
...express trivial complaints in writing. (friggin' ridiculous. Americans complain too much, about too small and stupid of things)
...stick silverware straight up in bowls of rice. (They, at least Japanese, do this at funerals, and for dead people. Also, Japanese pass the bones of dead people from chopstick to chopstick, so NEVER pass food chopstick to chopstick, because it is just like that)
...aren't willing to try new foods. (yeah, also stupid. You're in another country, and culture, don't be an idiot.)
...never buy dinner in return. (actually, I buy dinner whenever they let me, but often they insist on buying for me. Korean people like to buy dinner for a guest, so as long as I'm a guest (a first-time guest at least) they like to buy for me. But, if I'm out with a bunch of my friends, I like to buy dinner, or be generous, just because I make a lot of money, and I'm not shy about spending it on worthwhile things like my friends.)
...take "no!" as "no!" when eating. (I dunno what this means)
...lick fingers while eating.
...eat anywhere they happen to be.
...fill up someone's glass before it's completely empty.
...don't pour drinks for anyone else. (In Korea, you are supposed to never fill your own drink, instead fill the other people's drinks. After you've filled theirs, they fill yours, and you fill after the drinks are empty (if there's still something in them, it implies they're not yet finished, and don't want more). Also, you're supposed to use two hands when pouring for people of higher status.
...begin drinking as soon as their glass is filled. (should wait for the "cheers")
...talk too much while eating.
...don't offer to share foods. (I love sharing foods, I hate just eating ONE thing the whole meal esp. if there are other options available)
...use sarcasm. (as much as I like it, I admit, some Americans are WAY too sarcastic. It gets annoying!)
...tease others. (I love teasing others, as long as I'm doing it in a gentle and kind way, I love it)
...flirt overtly. (actually, this reverts back to the teasing thing, and I like it, though I try not to be too over-the-top with it)
...brag about themselves. (I try not to talk about myself, but ask other people about themselves, although it's not always like that, I try)
...speak English too quickly or overuse slang. (this even gets on MY nerves! Some people speak to foreigners as if they were native English speakers and had grown up with the slang and culture for years. I constantly have to explain things in simpler meanings if I'm with a "slang-speaker." Even I get tired of too much slang.)
...challenge another person's opinion.
...use loud voices, big gestures, and exaggerated expressions.
...call a Korean woman's name by her husband's name. (same with Chinese people, the woman keeps her name, the children take the husband's name)
...go Dutch. (actually the younger generation often suggests this to me when I'm out with them)
...are too sensitive about mentioning their age. (this is the only way Koreans know how to properly address someone. You can only be "friends" if you are the SAME age. Younger, and you become "younger brother" or "younger sister." Older, and you are "older brother" or "older sister." So, the first question many Koreans ask is your age.)
...won't wait for the "walk" sign at intersections.
...demand discounts on merchandise at every store.
...think it is sometimes alright to ignore local traffic laws.
...say that Seoul is especially dirty. (actually, Seoul is really a beautiful city. Beijing was more smoggy and polluted, though still nice)
...don't try to learn Korean and expect Koreans to learn English. (actually, I know one guy who has lived in Korea for 4 years and still can't even read. I find this quite embarrassing. At least learn to read. If you can read, then you can pick up at least a LITTLE Korean language just through reading. I learned to read mostly before I came in University, and it only took a short refresher (2 hours) to remember it all. Korean Hangeul is probably the most brilliant written language on the face of the planet. It would take little more than one day to learn it all and be able to start using it (although practice is required to get fast). But, seriously, at least learn to read after living here for 4 years!)
...walk on a "yo". (Korean mattress bed, can be folded up. Similar to Japan)
...send their elderly parents to a nursing home.
...think they are the best simply because they are from the United States. (Yeah, no crap. Seriously, when I talk about America, and Americans and their attitudes, esp towards international people and cultures, I find there is often no better word to describe US than "arrogant." If anyone ever asks me about Americans, or America, or Americans traveling abroad, I find I constantly have to refer to them (ME) as arrogant to adequately describe the situations. Of course, since we come from the biggest power on the planet, it's no wonder we've got a high opinion of ourselves. But seriously, sometimes Americans just complain about the stupidest, smallest inconveniences. Nobody said life was fair, get over yourself.)

No comments: