Feb 17, 2007

Not enough protein

Since I've recently started keeping track of the foods I eat during the day using www.fitday.com (again, I used it before, last year for a while, and lost weight because I was conscious of what I was eating), I realized that I'm not getting a good amount of protein in my day.

My goal is to intake 40% of my calories from carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein.
However, recently, it's been more like:
Tuesday, 52% carbs, 32% fat, 16% protein.
Wednesday, 47% carbs, 36% fat, 17% protein.
Thursday, 50% carbs, 34% fat, 16% protein.
Friday, 45% carbs, 36% fat, 15% protein.

This isn't to say that I eat completely unhealthily, just that protein is needed to build and maintain muscle, and that without a sufficient amount of protein intake, I'm not really helping myself out as best I could, especially with the marathon training I'm starting to do. So, even with all the training, working out I could do, it'll take longer to get leaner if I don't eat enough protein. Obviously the carbs intake is a lot higher than I'd like as well, but I hate low carb diets that erase carbs completely, because carbs are where you get longer lasting energy. Part of the reason my carbs intake is higher is because we eat so much rice over here. Somehow, I've got to put more protein into my diet. Luckily I have some whey protein powder, but even drinking one or two helpings of that per day might not help out as much as I hope, unless I change some part of my diet as it is.

I did just get three "Abs Diet" books in the mail yesterday that talk about the 40/30/30 ratio for calorie intake, and gives some good strategies to meet that goal. So, I guess I'll get to work on trying to figure that out, try to take care of my dishes and all, as well as try to learn some more good cooking recipes. And maybe in a few months, have a nice six-pack, hahaha.

No comments: